Friday, August 1, 2008

Long-Awaited meetings and a Fond Farewell...

Howdy Howdy, patient and long-suffering readers. Your dear pal Timmy is back with a little bit of news, good and bad.

Let's start off with the bad stuff. This is a bit of news that is actually kind of old, but one that hurt so much that I've put it off. I, your not-so-funny and overwrought blagmaster, have moved on from the Wonderful world of the RBSFF. I want to let all of you know what the time that I spent with RBSFF and IMAX Indy was a period of growth and happiness that I doubt I'll be able to recreate in any field, but being able to return to working with children and pursuing my Grad degree is going to be a great new experience as well. I sincerely hope that (especially closer to the 2009 Fest,) we'll be able to keep the Really Big Short Blog up and running. Craiggers and a few others will be picking up the torch and carrying it into brave new territories. Folks, it has been an absolute blast, and getting to meet so many of you, learning about your lives and taking part in your work has been a dream. What we have here at RBSFF really works, and let me tell you why...

Today I found myself at a clothing store on the Northside, where I wasn't spending so much time shopping as I was bemoaning the fact that these dang kids have no sense of style anymore... anyway... a woman was walking through the store wheeling around a little girl who was NOT having a good time shopping with Mommy. Couldn't blame her... that's never a fun time no matter how old you are. Working with youngsters, I know that it's never as easy as just getting a kid to be happy and stop yelling, so I was curious to see why she wasn't so stoked to be out and about this afternoon... I sure am glad I went over there, because I was blessed to have a meeting with a little brown-eyed girl that I've wanted to have for a long time.

Today, I finally met Riley Henderson.

Many of you who participated or attended this year will remember Riley as the subject of Sarah Mynett's beautiful documentary Riley's Story. She was born with a rare Mitochondrial Disease... an area in which much scientific research is still ongoing. Riley is unable to walk or talk, which makes her ability to express things like wants or feelings very different from you or I. However, once you meet her you realize that, while she can't say it like some can, she still has the same happinesses and frustrations of any little girl. And most importantly, she's one of us. She's a part of this community who has a story that deserves to be heard, needs that we can help with, and a family who loves her so much. Riley is going to reach and bless a lot of people here and elsewhere, I'm sure.

People, what we do MATTERS. And more importantly, IT WORKS. One of the best parts about the RBSFF is that filmmakers with big and small budgets alike can get their stories, their messages, and their art showcased and presented to people within Indiana who can appreciate it not only as art and entertainment, but also as coming from US, hoosiers, folks with a common perspective. Sarah and Tabitha took a story that a lot of us might see initially as a tragedy, and exposed the beauty and inspiration of a family and a community that we can all identify with. I deal with children differently because of the story that Sarah shared with us. I think of our capabilities of Hoosier filmmaking in a new light because of Jakob and Kelly's films. And I'll never think of the power of Happiness without thinking of Duncan. Most importantly, I'll always fight for the little (local) guy because of Craig Mince. Thank you, Indiana. You've blessed me, but you all have SO MUCH MORE TO DO!

Think of what you can accomplish. Think of the stories you can tell. Think of the people you can reach. Think of the possibilities that are yours.

Think of Riley. AND DON'T EVER, EVER, EVER GIVE UP.

Big love, everyone. And just for me... clutch first.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Riley is a beautiful girl- she is such a blessing, her smile would melt anything- Thank you Justin and Janene for being such patient and loving parents. Jase is pretty special too!

Sharon F.

Lisa (Shembab) Cottrell said...

My husband and I have enjoyed a special friendship with Justin and Janine Henderson for many years. It's a blessing and honor to just know and share in their family life. We've all been enlightened and will never be the same!

Lisa and Brian Cottrell